Monday, January 31, 2011

Welcome!

Hey everyone!  I decided to start this blog to document my experience as a relatively new vegetarian/college student/inexperienced cook.  I love to cook, but I have found that my creations either turn out spectacularly or fail miserably!  Still, I’m not a bad cook, and I’m pretty sure I have more experience than most other college students.  But I really want to get to the point where I can cook well enough to not need recipes, or to be able to make my own recipes.  I want that inherent knowledge!
Cooking experience successes: mac and cheese (NOT out of box!), “fried rice” (which is usually whatever vegetables and seasonings I feel like putting in minus the eggs), teriyaki noodles and veggies, corn and vegetable chowder, and other vegetarian basics like spaghetti squash and baked sweet potatoes.
Let’s expand on that!
Cooking experience failings: the aforementioned corn and vegetable chowder when attempting to double the recipe without using the recipe, majadra (Middle Eastern rice and lentils) without the sufficient number of onions, and falafel that dissolved in the frying oil because the recipe called for dried chickpeas and I only had canned…whoops.
Luckily, I have a basic knowledge of cooking essentials from my dad, who is a major foodie and has worked as a chef in the past.  My mom is a great natural cook too.  Having parents like mine means two things:
1.       A pretty much guaranteed fantastic meal (okay, Dad, I’m omitting your experiment with shepherd’s pie back in my meat eating days…..but other than that…)
2.      Increased pressure to meet up to the family standards!
So with writing this blog, I hope to expand my cooking knowledge, dabble in the wonders of veganism, feed my roommates yummy, healthy food, survive college, impress my family, and have fun along the way!  (and because I am a random being, you can expect plenty of posts relating to my many other interests!)
Let’s get started!
Your new veggie friend,
Keavy Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment