Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Majadra: 2, KeavyBee: 0

Well, kids.  Majadra won again.  That evil little dish!  I attempted to make my arch nemesis again, Middle Eastern rice and lentils, called Majadra, and totally evil!!  I didn’t exactly use the recipe I had last time, except for some measurements; otherwise it was all improvised.  It turned out blaaaaaaand.

On a more positive note, it was slightly tastier than last time, since I had more onions and eyeballed the rice so there wouldn’t be too much.  I also used brown rice to make it healthier, and vegetable stock instead of water.  And it was still blah.

One main reason I think this didn’t work out so great was that my onions didn’t caramelize!!  I do not know what happened, since I cooked them very slowly on a very low heat for a very long time.  How else do you caramelize onions?  Maybe the pan I was using was too thick?  Or a poor conductor of heat?  Anyways, whatever the problem was, they turned out too crispy and not at all delicious.

Leftovers were slightly better, with a little onion salt, but still not at all like the Majadra I’ve had at restaurants.  I’ve contemplated contacting the nearest Middle Eastern restaurant and threatening them until they divulge their secrets….

If I ever attempt this little devil again, I will use an extra onion, and maybe a little more salt and cumin.  I don’t use salt very much, for health reasons mainly, so maybe that was it?  I like the idea of brown rice, even though it’s not conventional.  And I will figure out how to caramelize those darn onions!!

Any suggestions??  Until next time!

KB <3

No comments:

Post a Comment